Suzanne Perryman, blogger for SpecialNeedsMom.com wrote the insightful article “6 Secrets Special Needs Moms Know But Won’t Tell You.” After reading the article, I realized how much alike we were. Maybe not at the same level of intensity but generally speaking. As parents, we all have our challenges. You never know what is going on behind closed doors, whether it’s caring for a special needs child, losing a child, conceiving a child, struggling to keep a marriage together, struggling to pay the bills, trying to figure out “what’s next?” For the most part, we all put on a happy face so the world won’t know just how hard it is. Parenting can be incredibly isolating because you’re in the trenches just trying to survive. Often times, the last thing we focus on is our own well-being.
What I appreciate about these “6 Secrets” is that they highlight challenges or experiences that so many of us face at some point in our lives. These things are all relatable and when we relate, we connect.
Below are the 6 Secrets Special Needs Moms Know But Won’t Tell You. Do any of these sound familiar? Can you relate? Can you add to the list?
1. Special needs moms are lonely.
2. Special needs moms have to work extra hard to preserve their marriages.
3. Special needs moms are not easily offended.
4. Special needs moms worry about dying.
5. Special needs moms are fluent in the transforming body language of touch.
6. Special needs moms know to savor the gift of a child saying “I love you.”