Well, thank goodness that’s over. It’s been quite a whirlwind here in the city with the holidays, Super Bowl and Mardi Gras. Congratulations to NOLA, though. I think our city knocked it out of the park. Our biggest snafu of the entire holiday season was the Dome going dark. And honestly, who cares? It’s been a great couple of weeks for the city.
This year I found myself walking a fine line between loving Mardi Gras and hating it, so I thought I’d put together a little Love/Hate list. Anything sound familiar? I’d love to see your list. You can submit it below.
21 things I love and hate about Mardi Gras
- Love the beginning. Everyone is in a good mood and there is an excitement in the air.
- Love the end. As much as I love the beginning for the reasons described above, I love the end with equal enthusiasm.
- Love that the city shuts down.
- Hate that the rest of the world does not shut down. The two-week “out of office” auto-reply is kind of a tough sell to those not from these here parts.
- Love Friday Ladies’ Lunch in the Quarter.
- Hate having to pick up kids from carpool after Friday Ladies’ Lunch in the Quarter. Buzz kill.
- Love all the happy people.
- Hate all the sloppy drunk people. This includes shirtless people. I really think people should wear shirts in public, especially crowded areas, women included. A bra does not constitute a shirt. Unless, of course, it’s a costume.
- Love catching a parade in a new neighborhood with new friends. It’s good to have perspective.
- Hate having to figure out how to get to the new neighborhood and where to park.
- Love catching beads.
- Hate getting whacked in the head with beads.
- Love ladders that contain kids.
- Hate lugging ladders.
- Love fried chicken.
- Hate waking up swollen and dehydrated because I ate too much fried chicken.
- Love a hot shower after a long Mardi Gras day.
- Hate the rain showers that cancel parades.
- Love seeing all the beads dangle in trees reminding us of good times.
- Hate that most of those beads do not get recycled.
- Love spending Fat Tuesday morning in the Quarter with my family, eating beignets, toodling around looking at all the amazing costumes, and bumping into old friends.
Check out the nolaParent Instagram feed to see what I saw this year during Carnival.
What do you love/hate about Mardi Gras? Comment below.
Now… only ten weeks until Jazz Fest!